Update on Rochester’s Corn-On-the-Cob Water Tower (VIDEO)
Could there be new information about the Corn-On-the-Cob water tower here in Rochester, Minnesota? Of course! And it comes from the Olmsted County Graham Park Facebook page (some of us still call it 'The Fairgrounds').
First of all...click play to get a tour of the tower's paint job.
A big thank you to Olmsted County Building Operations for shooting the drone footage. Great to see up close (and get a peek at an unpainted bit as well as workers and views of the city).
Corn-On-the-Cob Questions We've Been Asked This Week
Why is Olmsted County involved?
- The water tower is now owned by Olmsted County. When Seneca Foods closed, the county bought the tower and decided to restore it rather than tear it down.
Are They Going to Move the Water Tower?
- No. Please pass it on.
When will they be done with it?
- According to the county, the restorations should be done Friday, July 23,2021.
Did Libby's build it?
- No. It was built in 1931 by Monarch Foods (the original company in that location, see below).
- FYI: the county says, "The Ear of Corn Tower was originally designed by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co., with the correct amount of rows of kernels, which is sixteen."
How much is this costing us?
- According to KROC NEWS, $400,000
Does It Work?
- Yes and no. Seneca updated the inside of the tower, so it's in working condition, but even though the well house is part of the restoration, the well has been capped
Are you guys really renaming it?
- There have been conversations, but I can't go into any more detail. At least, not yet.
If you don't know what they're talking about "renaming" the tower...
15 Suggested Names for Rochester's Ear Of Corn Water Tower
As always, if you have a comment, complaint, or concern about something I wrote here, please let me know: firstname.lastname@example.org
Recently my co-worker, Carly Ross from 106.9 KROC put together this cool water tower gallery.
13 Odd Water Towers Around Minnesota that Will Make You Do a Double-Take
Listen to James Rabe Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 11-Noon on KROC AM 1340 and 96.9 FM and Weekdays with Jessica Williams Weekday from 6 - 10 AM on Y-105 FM