Enter your number to get our free mobile app

Rochester, MN (KROC AM News) - Better late than never.

The National Night Out event that has been observed around the country for years wasn’t held this summer because of COVID-19 concerns.

The national organization that coordinates the annual event strongly suggested communities postpone their plans. Rochester was one of those cities that called off the event that had been scheduled for the first Tuesday in August. The national organization suggested the event be rescheduled to the first Tuesday in October.

The Rochester Police Dept. says the event will be held Tuesday evening, but numbers are not expected to be anywhere near past years. RPD says more than 50 neighborhoods are expected to hold outdoor gatherings, and police officers will briefly visit some of them.

“The pandemic is taking a toll on mental health, and this is a great opportunity for people to connect with one and other while maintaining social distance,” says James Franklin, Rochester Chief of Police.

RPD is reminding everyone to follow Stay Safe MN guidance -- keep six feet distance, wear a mask, have short contact, and avoid shared meals that would prolong exposure.

Byron school calls off in-class learning.