The Mega Millions Jackpot Climbs Again; Now Second Largest
Rochester, MN(KROC AM News) - The Mega Millions jackpot has rolled again.
That means for just the third time in history, one of America’s national jackpot games is nearing the $1 billion mark.
There were no grand prize winners in the game’s Tuesday night drawing and that increased the jackpot to at least $970 million, the second-largest prize in the game’s history. It may be even higher by the time of the next drawing Friday night.
That drawing will be the 37th of the current jackpot run, which began after a Wisconsin player won a $120 million prize on September 15. It’s the longest the game has gone without a jackpot win.
If the Mega Millions jackpot is won this Friday, it would be the third-largest lotto prize ever, below only two jackpots exceeding $1.5 billion – the world record Powerball jackpot of $1.586 billion (January 13, 2016) and the current Mega Millions record of $1.537 billion (October 23, 2018).
The Powerball jackpot of $730-million is up for grabs tonight.
The top Mega Millions jackpots to date:Amount Date Winning Tickets
- $1.537 billion 10/23/2018 1-SC
- $970 million (est) 1/22/2021 ?
- $656 million 3/30/2012 3-IL, KS, MD
- $648 million 12/17/2013 2-CA, GA
- $543 million 7/24/2018 1-CA
- $536 million 7/8/2016 1-IN
- $533 million 3/30/2018 1-NJ
- $522 million 6/7/2019 1-CA
- $451 million 1/5/2018 1-FL
- $437 million 1/1/2019 1-NY
LOOK: 13 Picture-Perfect Minnesota Airbnb's to Stay in This Winter