Tenant Responds Quickly To Fire In Rochester Apartment
Rochester, MN (KROC AM News) -
A quick response by the tenant may have prevented a much larger fire.
The fire was reported just before 1:00 am at Andover Apartments at 2040 8 ½ ST. SE.
Firefighters were heading to the site when they were told the fire was out.
They arrived to find the tenant had put out most of the fire using an extinguisher. They also found significant fire damage to the stove and surrounding area. The damage estimate was listed at $50,000.
The tenant was assessed for smoke inhalation at the scene. It was determined the fire was caused by hot grease on the stove.
“Smoke alarms alerted the residents of the fire and the quick reactions of the resident using an extinguisher instead of water to put out the grease fire contained the fire and prevented it from spreading throughout the apartment. It is important to have working smoke alarms throughout a residence along with a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.”
READ ON: See the States Where People Live the Longest