9 Ways We Immediately Know Someone is Not From the 507
One of my favorite past times is a serving job I had here in Rochester. I had the opportunity to meet so many people from around the world. I was born and raised in Minnesota so when I meet a visitor, it's pretty obvious - good or bad. Here are 9 easy ways to spot someone who's not from Rochester:
- They ask for a soda, a soda-pop or a coke (not actually intending Coca-Cola). We are pop country here ;)
- They don't know anyone that works at Mayo... If you're from Rochester either you or someone you know works there - let's be real.
- They think KROC plays rock music and goes by K-Rock. If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that, I could retire
- They have no idea what Thursdays on First is. It's our unofficial kickoff to summer with thousands of people flocking downtown every Thursday.
- They think there's a train on the subway level...
- They think the winter won't actually be that bad
- They expect there to be natural lakes here (you know, land of 10,000 lakes...)
- Speaking of a lake, they ask what walleye is. Seriously, this happened a lot when I was serving.
- They are blunt. Minnesota nice = aka passive-aggressive personality.
BONUS: They know how to drive... Sorry, I had to ;)
Listen to Dunken & Samm in the mornings from 6a to 10a on 106.9 KROC